Saturday 24 March 2012

First cab off the rank - Butterick 5672

Back here I shared a few of my autumn/winter sewing plans and now I can cross one item off my list.

This is view b of Butterick 5672, and I've got to say that I really like it.

I pretty minor changes to the pattern.  I omitted the lining and the zipper because I used a ponte knit and it slips off and on quite comfortably.  I added an inch in length to the bodice and then moved the pleats down by an inch to maintain the layout of the pleats.  I also added two inches to the length of the sleeves.  Also, I cut the skirt using the grainline for the lining, rather than the fashion fabric (the pattern suggests you cut the fashion fabric almost on the bias and mine didn't need to be).


Something to note is that the middle seam is actually above the waistline, which is something you don't get from either the front of the pattern envelope (the line drawing on the back is more realistic).  Not sure why they chose the fabric used on the pattern envelope because it really hides the design of the pleats.

I think that I'll use the pattern again - I'd really like to make a summer version and I'm also thinking about using the lining pattern pieces to make a version without the pleats.  My husband gave me two thumbs up for the dress and he can be brutally refreshingly honest with his opinions!

10 comments:

Cal said...

Very nice, I like the ruching and the neck line. Also the color is lovely.

Melinda said...

That looks gorgeous on you - you are so tall and slim! This really shows off your lovely figure and looks like the sort of outfit that could be dressed up or down. Definite thumbs up :)

Judith said...

This colour and style is very you!!! A summer version would be great...

fabric epiphanies said...

I love your dress it is very elegant. I may just have to find this pattern.

I will work for Fabric said...

Wow the color, the fit just everything about this dress is perfect for you. Ponti was the first stretch fabric I sewed with and it's such a dream to use.

Bernice said...

Stunning! The fit and style is perfect. You'll definitely have to revisit this one.

Sharon said...

Fantastic dress, love the pleating details and the colour is perfect on you.

Carolyn said...

Stunning, so chic and very elegant! The pleating/folding at the side is particularly lovely.
It must be a lot cooler where you are than over here in Perth :)

Lynneb said...

THAT is a fabulous dress. So classic and flattering!

Linda L said...

Love your version of this dress. I am currently finishing up (someday) this dress also. My DH has not seen it yet and he, like yours, can be "refreshingly" honest.

Your dress looks great on you.